When shopping for a home, it’s easy to become focused on the aesthetics of a property and forget all of the other factors that will affect whether it’s a good fit or not. To help you find the home that’s right for you, here are nine things to keep in mind:
- Visit your lender before you start looking to determine what you can afford.
- Visit home shows or open houses sponsored by builders or real estate agents to find the style of home and neighborhood you desire.
- Look at the quality of construction, especially cabinetry, carpeting, trim, and paint.
- Think value when shopping. Consider the factors that could potentially influence the price and desirability of the property, including, housing supply and demand, schools, new development, and the condition of neighboring homes.
- Determine whether it will meet your needs now and in the future. For example, are there enough living spaces, bedrooms, and storage areas?
- Think about the cost of maintenance and the amount of effort it will take to keep the property in top condition—both indoors and outdoors.
- Consider the location of the home and whether it’s ideal for your lifestyle. Is it near parks, shopping, transportation, or other places that interest you?
- Read and understand everything in all contracts and forms that you sign. Keep in mind that if you negotiate a contract with an allowance to pay closing costs and/or pre-paids or a reduction in the sales price, you will not get money back at closing if the original estimated amounts are reduced for any reason.
- Ask questions! Your REALTOR® and loan officer are there to help you with the home-buying process, so take advantage of their knowledge. No matter how simple or complex your questions are, it’s important to get the answers you need in order to make an informed decision.
Can I apply for a Home Loan Before I find a Property?
Yes, applying for a mortgage loan before you find a home may be the best thing you could do! If you apply for your mortgage now, we’ll issue an approval subject to you finding the perfect home. We’ll issue a pre-qualification letter online instantly. You can use the pre-qualification letter to assure real estate brokers and sellers that you are a qualified buyer. Having a pre-qualification for a mortgage may give more weight to any offer to purchase that you make.
When you find the perfect home, you’ll simply call your Mortgage Banker to complete your application. You’ll have an opportunity to lock in our great rates and fees then and we’ll complete the processing of your request.
I am Nervous about Providing information On-Line.
Information About Our Security
We use leading-edge technology to ensure that all customer information is 100% safe. We protect our customers by using a combination of security measures that are among the best in the industry.
All customer information is encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology supported with digital certificates provided by Starfield Technologies. This means that your loan application information is safe and secure as it travels over the Internet.
We use leading firewall and network security technology to protect our internal computer systems from unauthorized access. Our customers can be confident that their personal information is completely safe and private after they apply.